POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Oct 2009 06:32:15
Message: <4adaeeaf$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:

> Reading up a little bit more about the movie, manking will apparently have
> artificial gravity (!?) in a couple of decades, on top of the other
> nonsense. Even if we can ignore all the bad physics, it makes absolutely
> zero sense to me to be sending a *manned* craft for such a mission. What do
> you need astronauts for, to steer the ship in the right direction so it
> doesn't miss (!) the sun? Maybe it's explained somewhere in ironclad logic,
> but I highly doubt it. All in all, it sounds like a really bad rehash of
> last-minute-space-heroics-to-save-the-world genre.

A couple of things.

One of the tenets of Science Fiction is that you are allowed to change
one or two science facts and develop your world as if they were true.

human based story. As you will know, this is the suspension of disbelief

attack craft behave as if they were aeroplanes. Accelerating forward to
go faster when they are in orbit and banking when they turn.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen